Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Haitus from my Haitus

Anybody who is a long-time follower of my adventures knows that I'm prone to long, unexplained absences from this space. I warned you, back in the dim mists of the past when I started this thing, that I will not allow this thing to own me, and if I don't feel like posting I won't until I feel like it again. So there.

On the fostering front, nothing much has happened lately anyway (unless you count the cop and two sheriff deputies that stopped by for a nice little search of the Boy Child's bedroom today, but that's another post for later).

But the adoption front...well, let's just say that after months of anguish and worrying, many legal threats, thousands of dollars in legal bills, health problems for the birth mom related to stress, and some other rotten stuff, the court date finally came last Friday.

And the tribe didn't even bother to show up by phone.

All that crap they gave us, all the pain and heartache, those horrible days in the hospital after Amanda was born, and they didn't even bother to let us know it was okay now.

I'm going to say this now, and then I'm probably not going to mention it again. The Indian Child Welfare Act is a poorly written legislation obviously put together by B-team congressional staffers with no real-world experience. It is being used at least in some cases to punish women whose decisions the tribes disapprove of. It is fostering a bitter culture of racism and entitlement among many Native Americans, and it is building bitter resentment among non-natives who are/were otherwise well-disposed toward people of other races, including natives.

In short, it's a crappy law written by crappy lawyers being used by crappy people to do crappy things, and it should be at least massively amended and probably repealed at the first possible opportunity.

So then.

We have our beautiful little girl. She now officially has our last name, and is ours for life. It's almost like she knows it, too. In court she charmed the judge completely. The bailiff looked like some kind of pro wrestler, and I swear he was grinning from ear to ear when he thought nobody was looking and I was afraid he was going to get down on the floor and start playing with her.

She's our angel, and nobody can ever take this one away. Heh. Can you tell I've got it bad? Of course, as Daddy, it's my official duty to show a picture. Enjoy. I know we will.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 6:50 AM , Blogger Megamom said...

Im so incredibly happy that your journey of pain had a very happy ending. She is indeed very very beautiful! Congrats Daddy and Mommy!

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger FosterAbba said...

Congratulations! I'm glad your story has a happy ending.

 
At 4:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've been following your blog with interest and empathy for many months now. I think I'll have a glass of wine this evening in your honor!Good health and happiness to you and your family, may your little girl bring you much joy, hugs, giggles and of course mischief!

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Tricia said...

she is so adorable!!! So glad the story has a happy ending

 
At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations!(My antospamword is fulness! Howe full of love you must be!)

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger Mary said...

She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations, Daddy!

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

She is so beautiful!! HUGE congratulations!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home