Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Activity

And now we have finally had some interesting developments. It seems two possibilities for foster children have been identified...both teenage girls. They both sound like people we could help. Both have dealt with things no young teenager should have to deal with. One is local, one is from out of town...unsurprisingly, substance abuse figures into both cases. Both sound (from my limited information) like they are the type where most of the fault for the situation lies at the feet of the parents.

There are kids who deserve to be thrashed with wet noodles for 10 years, you know. Not all of these kids are poor little street urchins with hearts of gold who would discover cures for diseases and set olympic records if only they were given the chance.

No. I've seen both kinds pass through my parents' house while I grew up, probably in about a 25/75 split, with the majority being pretty decent kids when given a chance.

Then there's that other 25. Those are the ones that will give me fits, but frankly I fear for my wife more than myself. I'd be really scared if some good, hard social work hadn't innoculated her against the worst of it. But we can handle ourselves.

It doesn't matter, though. We're finally getting down to specifics, and being told some details about particular cases. Here's where the rubber meets the road.

Will it be an angel or a demon? A future Tiger Woods or a future Ted Bundy? Don't know. Don't care. Don't have the time or the brains to worry about it now. Bring 'em on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home