Friday, December 23, 2005

Life in a Northern Town, With Apologies to Dream Academy

We're experiencing something of a break in the weather. It's been the coldest winter in the last few years in Minnesota, and we've been bearing the brunt of it...the last few days it finally moved up over freezing during the day, though I only know that by rumor because I've been spending the last few days in the office. Sigh.

So, as I listen to the end of the song lending this post its title, here's a snapshot of life at this moment: my folks are in my house visiting and I'm enjoying their company immensely. We made a trip and finally bought my wife's Christmas presents. Once again our fostering start date has been moved to an alarmingly close date: Monday. I'll believe that one when I see it at this point, but it's tantalizing. Christmas Eve is tomorrow, and I'm in the most Christmassy mood I've been in in over a decade. I have a puppy laying at my feet, I had a good enough day at work today that even my boss seemed happy with the result, I have a shift to work at the Humane Society in the morning, I have Monday and most or all of Tuesday off (depending on circumstances), and all seems right with the world.

Make sure you eat some fudge, listen to lots of holiday music and watch "A Christmas Story". Not watching "A Christmas Story" at least once a year makes the baby Jesus cry, and you don't want to be doing that. Plus maybe one of these times he won't win the fight with the bully. You never know.

Miscellaneous observation: "Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel is perhaps the most brilliantly orchestrated pop song ever written, especially for only two voices, but it most definitely is NOT conducive to a spirit in keeping with this particular season. Yeesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home