Monday, May 08, 2006

Dumbfounded

It looks like "Josie" will be with us indefinitely now. I'm still trying to stretch my cranium around today's events, but somehow I know our letter got in front of the judge. It was like he was quoting several of the things I said in it. I'm pretty sure the aforementioned school counselor had much to do with it...but whoever did it, I'm saying a thank you to God in my bedtime prayers tonight for pushing them to do it.

I'm also now a cat on a hot tin roof. I'm pretty sure we've spent a lot of what little political capital we've acquired in our short time fostering here to pull these strings, and my guess is that there are a certain probation officer, a certain social worker, and perhaps others who now will be gunning for us and would like nothing better than for us to fail so they will have something to use on us whenever they disagree with us.

Couple that with the fact that "Josie" is indeed likely to suffer some sort of setbacks along the way (as do all of these kids) and we're in a tenuous situation. The judge made it very clear that she was now on her last chance, and one more clear violation will get her booted out of town for a very long time.

Mom and Dad watched "Angel" for us, and afterward apparently Mom sat "Josie" down and told her things. I'll leave it at that, in part because I don't know what was said but also in part because Mom has sat me down before and told me things, and it's very uncomfortable. I'm glad that lady is on my side these days, and I hope I never seriously cross her again. Nuff said.

Now, I'm just going to relax, rejoice in the fact that my weird little family is whole again, maybe drop a line to the wonder-counselor to thank her, and think about the changes we're going to educate "Josie" on after "Angel" goes to bed.

Because there will be changes. And she's not going to like some or even all of them. But we have a chance to continue molding her into an actual human being, and we now have an axe to hang over her head.

It won't be pretty. But I hope it will be really, really good.

4 Comments:

At 6:30 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear that someone actually listened to those in the trenches working with kids like Josie. Too many are too detached to have a grasp on what is really needed. Less talk, more listening works wonders. Congrats!

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger FosterAbba said...

Mazel Tov! Congratulations! That's terrific news. I hope "the system" will let you actually parent this girl this time around.

I hope things go well for you!

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger No Longer In Crisis said...

Man, I wish I had someone like your mom around when someone needs to be set straight - maybe that's why now we're thinking we need to live closer to potential grandparents!

Excellent news, Dan. I'm glad some folks finally paid attention.

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Julie said...

I am so thankful that Josie is going to be with you- that ya'll stuck by her when no one else would! She sooooo needs that! I am praying for ya'll and hope that she feels the love you have for her! and that sweet angel!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home