Thursday, May 25, 2006

Preparing for the Weekend and Slapping "Josie" Down

I need a break.

It's been almost five months since my last day off, and probably two years since my last vacation...which would be my week-long honeymoon. Great as that was, it's regenerative power is about spent. I'll settle for a three-day weekend...which is convenient right now. Maybe.

I've been working pretty hard on a project at work, and I can't say it's been the easiest one. I can say that if you live in the continental united states and eat vegetables, then you'll likely eat some of the results...and when you open that can of green beans or peas you should remember my blood, sweat and tears and raise a fork to the boys in the trucks, harvesters and guard shacks.

But dedication comes at a price, and I may have to eat into my weekend a bit to get it done. I'm hoping against hope that there's some good guidance from an expert or two in my email tomorrow morning. If so, I could get off work at a decent hour and head for the lake. If not, well...this weekend won't be my choice for a vacation.

Did I mention that "Josie" is a manipulative little snot? I did? Oh, well then I'll just content myself with relaying the latest evidence.

We had a nice lunch together yesterday, and I had a great time. Today, just before lunch, I got a call. Not from her...from her counselor. I was too busy to take the call, but it was a simple message. "When 'Josie' calls, the answer should be 'no'." I assumed it was The Wife warning me of impending manipulation.

Turns out it was her uber-counselor warning me of impending manipulation. Shortly after that, "Josie" called, wanting to know if I would take her to lunch again. It felt good to be able to turn her down and actually be telling the truth when I said I didn't have the time.

We have a wonderful badmitton match going on with this counsellor. She knows exactly what "Josie" needs, and makes sure she gets it. She's thanked us for loving her as much as she does, she's got a brain in her head that won't quit, she's truly dedicated to her counellees (?) and she seems to like us.

Plus she's got a great sense of fun, to the point where if I ever knew that "Josie" had something planned and was sneaking out and I invited her over here on the sly for a sting operation to catch her in the act, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she would show up to join the party.

So now we have a weekend to get ready for. Hopefully I'll be able to go with my family on their holiday. I'd really hate to miss out on a full, long weekend at the lake. There is not, however, a computer at the cabin (which is as it should be) so if I don't get around to getting to my folks' house and demanding to use their computer so I can satisfy my blogging habit, I hope you'll understand if you don't hear from me until Tuesday night.

It's a long weekend with two foster kids. I'm guessing there will be tales to be told by then.

3 Comments:

At 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend.... on ALL accounts. WE'll be here waiting for tuesday for updates.

 
At 6:08 AM , Blogger Yondalla said...

I protest! Unfair!

There MUST be more to the story? What was she up to?

Dropping tidbits and giving us the whole thing? I'm pouting.

 
At 7:22 AM , Blogger Julie said...

I commend you for taking in a teen- it is tough!!! I think about it and then I read posts like your's and remember my own teen years and remember why I say - no- can't do it! especaially as a single mom. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home