Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It's Time

We have a lead on another adoption, and I think it's getting to be time for something to break our way. I'm starting to have doubts about our profile, our abilities as foster parents, and basically just myself in general. Yes, I know sometimes it takes time. Yes, I know I need to keep my chin up and not get discouraged. That doesn't mean I can actually do those things, though.

This one is a little girl who was born just a week or two ago, and she's actually in our state. We sent an email inquiring about her, and they had us send our home study by snail mail. Yeck. Anyway, they should have gotten that either today or tomorrow...then I guess we'll see. If any readers have any idea how these things work in MN, it would be nice if you could give us an idea of what sort of time frame we should expect in this situation. The baby is already born, and it sounds like she looks healthy so far but both parents are alcohol/drug users and who knows what sort of issues she might have when she's older. It sounds like we might be able to get an assisted adoption with it, too, which would be way cool.

Anyway, I've been talking to God a lot lately at odd times...in the car on the way to and from work, while I'm eating lunch, while I'm sitting looking out the window in the evening. I'm trying to, as they told us in AA, get some serenity about my situation. I'm not a spring chicken by normal standards, and by the standards of CF patients I'm practically Methuselah (and my sister is probably Methuselah's mom). I have high school classmates who are grandparents. Do I get a turn here, too, or what?

The Wife needs this to happen soon, too. She's been poring over lists of baby names. It has to have a good meaning, preferably be biblical, and flow nicely with our last name and one of several middle names that she seems to have settled on for a girl or my Dad's name as the middle name for a boy. Today she called me at work to ask me what I thought about her latest brainstorm: Pocahontas. I shit you not. "We could call her 'Pokie' for short!" This needs to happen soon. Truly.

3 Comments:

At 4:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methuselah's mom eh? :) If I weren't so pleased to be this "old" I might be offended - lol. Crossing my fingers, toes, etc., for you guys. Oh, and praying too :)

Love,

Big Sis

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Right there with you. This whole adoption thing can be SO discouraging. Hope it happens soon for you.

And hey, maybe you'll can adopt a boy and name him Captain John.

 
At 5:31 AM , Blogger Mary said...

How exciting! You're in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home